Saturday, May 31, 2008

Fish Sticks


Every now and again, I sneak fish sticks into the grocery cart, and they make their way to the dining room table. It's not very often, but every now and then, they sound good to me. And they always remind me of a funny story about my Daddy-in-law, Gary.
We were living in El Dorado, and Mark was managing Blockbuster Video there. Emi was just a baby, still in a high chair. Anyway, there was one night we were having fish sticks for dinner, and there was a horrible storm supposedly going to hit. With hail, and rain and tornadoes.
Gary called to check on us, and Mark answered the phone, and they talked for a while. Anyway, the conversation went something like Gary asked what we were doing, if we were safe, and Mark said yeah we were, and that we were eating dinner. Gary asked him what we were having, and Mark said Fish. His dad asked what kind of fish, and Mark told him Sticks.
You may not think this is funny, but it still makes me laugh (hard) to this day. Maybe this is why I serve fish sticks. I don't even think Gary liked them, but I always think of him when I see them in the store.
Oh, by the way, we are having fish for dinner tonight too. But, it's BBQ salmon. Sorry! It's not as funny.

1 comment:

Danelle said...

Now that is funny! I totally get the humor in that.