Monday, July 21, 2008

The Golden Arches

My nephew,Tim, got his first job. He is working at McDonald's in Derby. The store shares a parking lot with Raeann's so we are very familiar with it.
He got the job Friday,and had his first day yesterday. I have not spoken to him yet, but he has quite a few friends who work at that store, so I am sure he is having a good time.
It was a long road. I think over the summer, he filled out over 20 applications. I heard a lot of the problem is that, there are a lot of "family people" holding down 2 or more jobs because of the price of gas, and bills. It's the same all over, it seems. My Aunt in Tennessee, even, started asking if places were hiring for her grandson, because he had such trouble finding work.
I am really proud of Tim though. I think this job will be good for him. He can keep it during the school year too, so that makes him and his parents happy, because now he will be earning his own money.
Some of Val's friends have started saying how much they want their own jobs, but I think that is kind of sad. They are just starting High School,they need to enjoy being kids a while longer I think. THere is plenty of time to grow up, after you are old enough to actually get a job. At least wait until you are 15. Most places don't hire until 16 though.
In any case, I am proud of Tim. I hope he remembers I only like cheese and onion on my cheeseburgers. I'll have to remind him.

1 comment:

Danelle said...

Cool! Let him know I like my cheeseburgers plain.