Monday, August 4, 2008

She'll have the time of her life


Today was Val's high school registration.
We started at 7 this morning. I thought this would be good, because it opened at 730, so if we arrived at 7, we should get a good place in line. HA!
We were maybe 150 people back.
When we finally made it inside, it was a 1 1/2 hour wait to the first station. I stupidly bought a shelf system that was very heavy while we waited, so we had to lug those around too.
The book line was next. We had an excellent place in that line, but weren't moving. Come to find out the computer system went down. We waited.
Finally, we got to the locker. Val is extremely lucky. She got a locker that goes from floor to ceiling, not like top or bottom. It is because her name is at the end of the alphabet, and that is where the big lockers are.
She decked it out with a mirror, dry erase board, sticky notes, magnets, oh she put her books in there too.
Once she was confident with the locker, she walked her schedule a few times, to get a feeling for where her classes are. Then, she showed some of her friends where their classes were too. She could get a part time job as a BCCHS tour guide.
Finally we left, after helping Karlee and another boy, Jeremy, (I'm told he is cute by the way) figure out how to open their lockers too.
Then, I saw my sister, when I went to pick up Emily and Lauren at my mom's. We had stopped on our way over to pick them up, and bought an English/Spanish dictionary and some more magnets.
Anyway, Suzy wanted to see the school and Val was willing to go back and put the other stuff in her locker, so we went back, so she could see how it has changed.
Val is going to resist the urge to go this evening before running. I think she would go back if I would take her though!
Oh, I forgot, we also had to have her fingerprint scanned, because that is how her lunch account is handled. Out there, if you don't have money on your account you don't eat. I think it is a shame, but I understand too. At SMM we feed them even if they don't have money, and then send home a notice, but noone goes hungry on my watch.
Val was made for high school, and seeing her run around today just confirmed that for me. SHe is growing up, and it is a good thing!

3 comments:

Gram~cr'kr said...

OH WOW!! What a great post! I felt just like I was there. I just can't believe that my #1 is going to high school. You guys have raised an amazing young lady and I know she will do herself proud and make you proud at the same time. Lucky young lady, lucky mom and dad and a very lucky gram~crkr!!!!

Danelle said...

Oh fun! The excitement is building I'm sure!!!

The Timster said...

The only thing that would make this better is if she were a Railer... I'm still not wearing Green and Gold!