Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Mommy Knows Best

My mom has always had issues with driving. If you ride with her, it is a given fact that you will always have to go down to a light, instead of turning left onto a busy street unprotected. You always know that you have to take the city streets instead of the highway. You always have heard never to use cruise control, because it may stick.
I never really give this much thought.
Until today.
Mark's truck.
We got the brakes fixed on Friday. Then, yesterday morning, Mark put gas in it, to drive it to Greensburg and gas started pouring out of it. There was a seal broken. Got that fixed too, but to do it, Mark took my Rav to Greensburg, and I borrowed my mom's van until the truck was ready.
Well.
I went to pick it up, and it started fine, got going, it was all good. Then I got on the highway, and the check engine light came on. That freaked me out so I got off on the Macarthur Exit. But didn't stop. I stomped on the brake, but it would not go slower than 15. If I took my foot off the brake, it would accelerate to 35. I started to panic, naturally.
I called Mark and he told me to pull over. Well, how could I pull over when I couldn't stop?
I threw it in park. That did it. But, I was blocking someone's driveway, so I figured I should move it. I started it back up, and it did the same thing.
Through the grace of God I made it home. It was a total of like maybe 4 miles with no brakes. When I went through intersections, I just laid on my horn. I didn't know what to do. It worked though.
Anyways, I got it home, put it in park again. Mark got here and called our mechanic who came over and figured out what happened (did you know mechanics make house calls?) and disabled the cruise control.
It works fine now, but I don't trust it, until Mark can drive it around more this weekend.
Scary stuff!
Always listen to your mommy! That is the lesson of the day. Even if she won't turn left.
This could have been a very devestating day. I mean, what would all of you do without me.

I'm kidding!!!!
No I'm not.
Yes I am.
Not really!
Love to you all. Just so you know!

3 comments:

Danelle said...

i laugh outloud when i picture you blaring on the horn going thru the intersections!!! oh gosh that's funny.

i'm glad you are ok though. no, seriously. no joke.

great post!

Michelle's Musings said...

I know! Today it is funny. Yesterday, it was hysterics, not hysterical!

Gram~cr'kr said...

I don't have a funny quip here, this post scared me. I thank God, it ended well, and you can laugh about it.