Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Weigh In

Did you know that Val joined the Bishop Carroll Track Team? Well, she did, I just can't remember if I have blogged about it yet, and am too lazy to go back and look.
Anyway, she is and she is Pole Vaulting. A few weeks agim ger coach, Denis, asked her how much she weighed. It depends how big the pole is that she can use, so, we didn't know. I am like so bad about weight or height, I cannot grasp it, so I took her to my mom's, because I know she has a scale. She said it wasn't the best, but it would be a good estimate. She weighed at 120 pounds. So, I figured, maybe 115. That is what she told Denis, so he started her out with that weight in mind. Apparently, in pole vault, all the poles go in 10 lb increments. She has done pretty well, and can do it, but not really high yet, but you have to start somewhere.
Back to the point, Val had to have an official weigh in. She was so nervous! Denis told her that since she must weigh about 115, she either needed to lose 5 lbs or gain 3 lbs over night. So, she made herself sick eating McDonald's and ice cream. Then, she went to her weigh in, and weighed 108 lbs. Coach Swords, the head coach, said she needs to eat more. So does her cousin Jake. He was in the weight room working out with her. He did not realize she wasn't running, and was like not believing she was in pole vault, but she is used to it, because everyone has had the same reaction.
So, anyway, it was kind of a pointless story, except that it was so funny that she gorged herself to gain 3 lbs to be 12 lbs less than what she thought she was.

4 comments:

Grannymouse said...

We should all be so lucky. Tell her I said good luck in her new venture.

The Timster said...

Tell Val I had to do the same thing at wrestling tournament in Garden City when I was a senior... I had to gain 3 pounds in 30 minutes or I could not wrestle the second day. Back then, to wrestle HWT you had to weigh at least 184 and I weighed 181.

Gram~cr'kr said...

Sooooooo, how much is she suppose to weigh? Seems crazy to me. I guess drink a lot of water and don't pee.

Monica said...

I feel for her. I couldn't gain a pound to save my life, even if all I ate was butter and ice-cream. Good luck, Val!