Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Memories

Valleri was not a planned pregnancy. In fact, I thought I was never going to be able to have children, at all.
So, when I started to wake up and feel sick, I thought flu. I couldn't shake it though after some time, so I kind of got the feeling it was something more, but for some reason, would not admit it to myself.
One early June evening, Mark came home, and had been playing basketball with some friends at Athletic Park. He had really banged up his knee, and for some reason that is what sent me into hysterics. Really!
I asked him if he thought he should go to the Emergency Room, and he said no, he just needed some ice, and I remember crying and telling him, that was good, because we were going to need our money, because I thought I was pregnant. Well, this was the first he had heard of this, and he jumped up, and ran out, and bought a test, and it was (of course) positive.
Looking back, Mark must have thought I was crazy!

It was not an easy pregnancy. I was sick morning, noon and night. Every day. For the whole time. Never a day that I was well. Never.
I had panic attacks, at baby showers, I was in and out of the hospital for dehydration, I was on bed rest for early labor, I had to go in weekly for stress tests. You name it, and it happened to me.
My OB built on to his home the same time I was his patient.
A lot.
Took some vacations too.
Exotic ones.
Expensive ones
You get the picture.
Poor Mark, was driving me to Wichita one morning on his way to work, because I was pretty much an invalid, and I remember, he had just bought our first brand new car, and I just knew I was going to be sick. He jumped a curb and almost hit a mailbox, and that scared me so bad, I didn't have to throw up.
Anyway, as the delivery date approached, I was going to the doctor always, and he decided to induce me. Lovely man. I enjoyed that very much. I didn't have to worry about when or where this would happen,and we had the evening before to plan everything out. I enjoyed it so much, when I found out I was pregnant with Emi I requested to be induced at my first doctor appointment, and I was too.
So, we were in the hospital. They had to break my water, of course, nothing was easy, remember?
Mark's dad bought him Arby's and I remember, I was ready to push, throwing up ice chips, and he was snarfing down 5 roast beef sandwiches. It is a funny memory, but those couple of minutes with his dad are priceless memories now!
I finally had the little darling at 7:18 pm. I remember my anastesiologist name was Charlie, and was a friend of my mom's, and went and got all the grandparents, when I started pushing, and left the door cracked open, so they could hear. I think they went back down to the waiting room, to wait for Mark after that. I was just happy that I had the epidural at that point, so didn't really know what was going on.
Mark, and a procession of well wishers followed Val down to the PICU, because ( nothing was easy), she couldn't breathe, so that left me alone with Charlie, who sat with me, while we waited for everyone to come back down.
The next day, I remember, Gram was visiting, and the nurse came to take her for some hearing tests, and she stood in the hall, to be sure noone absconded with our little bundle of joy. That is another memory I remember.
And, Mark's friends come to see us, Val was the first baby, and one of them, Jon stood at the foot of the bed, for like 3 minutes, and I didn't even notice him, but he said he was grabbing my feet, and I didn't even know it (epidural).
Precious memories of my not a baby anymore, 15 years old tomorrow, Valleri Anne.

1 comment:

Gram~cr'kr said...

It's funny you should write this. I have thought about that day 15 years ago too. In fact I shared the story of the cracked open door with a friend. My heart soared when I heard her cry. Funny, it almost seems like it just happened. I remember the "God Fathers" all lined up. What a sight they were. And my dear, you were skin and bones from being so sick. Whew!